Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

National Library Week


This is the Grande Bibliotheque in Montreal. It is 33,000 square feet and is the National Library and Archives of Quebec. It is one of 67 libraries in the area. It is an amazing building, and the picture does it no justice. It even has a gift shop!

This week is National Library Week. I have always loved libraries, ever since I was little. There is just something about them that makes me happy. I love to walk around looking at all the shelves. I love the smell of books (my husband thinks that is really weird). I am starting graduate school in the fall to get my master's in library science at McGill University in Montreal. I am really excited and nervous. It has been a while since I've gone to a library to check out books, mostly because I previously lived in a small town with a tiny library. Also, for the last year I have been trying to read the books that I already own. I am hoping to start going to libraries soon, especially since there are many in Montreal. I am also really excited to become a librarian.

In honor of National Library Week, Kate from The Neverending Shelf is issuing a challenge. There are two parts to this challenge:
Part 1:
For every comment that this post receives, I will be donating a 1/4 of a book to my local library. This means that for every 4 comments, my library will be getting a book off my shelves. Please limit the comments to something relevant to this post. You can give us tips on how you can support your local library... Tell us what makes your library special... Etc.

Part 2:

Create a post about the challenge. You can telling us about your local library, tips on how you can make your library, etc. and then pass this challenge along to your readers. You can keep the stakes the same, make them less, or even up them.. the choice is yours. Once you have done this, please link your post in Mr. Linky so that others can see what you can done. Additionally, I will be selecting one lucky winner to select 5 books from my shelves or $25 to spend on Book Depository. If you are international, I will give you $25 to spend on Book Depository. You are more than welcome to read the books before you donate... I just ask that you actually donate the books.

I am going to participate in this challenge. For every comment I get, I will donate 1 book to my local library. I might donate more, because I'm a new blogger and don't get that many comments yet. So comment here and go visit Kate's blog and comment there!

1 comment:

  1. Hiya fellow Montrealer! *waves* Thanks for visiting my blog. I love libraries too, although I find myself a bit frustrated by the ones in Montreal. Somehow their shelving system doesn't make any sense to me and I find it really hard to browse for books. (The fact that they often mix English and French books together doesn't help.) The Westmount Library is a fabulous library (the building is gorgeous -- there's a greenhouse in it! -- and it's in Westmount Park, which is also lovely), but unfortunately unless you live in Westmount you probably can't afford a membership. Still it's worth a visit!

    Good luck with your Master's in the fall!

    ReplyDelete